Monday, December 5, 2011

Yours in sympathy with your troubles

As the condition of her husband Sylvanus worsens, Ann turns to Eliza Bescombe, the wife of Enoch who in 1876 was the Wesleyan minister at Pitton.  Eliza writes back:


Kedwelly,

Sept. 20/77

Dear Mrs Bevan

                   I received yours this morning & was exceedingly sorry at the intelligence it brought your toils, fatigue, sorrow must have been greater than tongue can tell or least conceive I hope you may be sustained through it, as to advising you it seems difficult for me to do, especially with regard to the deseace I suppose you have the Doctor and that all that can be done is being done by him but I should think as soon as Mr Bevan recovers a little the best thing you can do is to get him out of the house into park surroundings say to Oxwich he will not soon gain strength in your house there is a depression in old circumstances & thoughts – I trust he will be spared to you yet.  I am sorry then about his tendency to consumption – you have two helpful things to comfort you – first his constitution has not been impaired by secondly his state of mind & trust in God look up Sister, the Lord has mercy in store for you yet, the dark cloud shall burst in blessing.  I trust the rest of your children may recover and live to be a blessing to you.  I assure you of an interest in my poor prayers for you & I believe others will do the same, and the [Lord] has heard yours hoping to hear better news of you & yours believe me.

Yours in sympathy with your troubles

                             E. Bescombe

John Wesley, the founding father of Methodism, visited Gower at least four times between 1762-1773 staying at a cottage in Oxwich.  By 1780 the Methodist movement had spread widely in the southern counties of Wales and produced a flurry of chapel building in the Gower area.  Oxwich Chapel was built in 1808 and Horton in 1813, followed by Pitton (pictured) in 1833, Llangennith in 1862 and Reynoldstone in 1869.  The chapel at Port Eynon was fitted out by Captain Bevan in 1852.



No comments:

Post a Comment